Re: A real poser

"Spectrum" <none@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1gbh41hlfe4o6nmm4es8u1ei4sfi82jci8@xxxxxxxxxx
> OK. Background. Been X10ing for 10+ years. Everything in the house
is
> automated. Use JDS Timecommander, coupler/repeater, whole house
surge
> suppressor, 3 house codes, noise filters on all computers.
>
> Now, about a month ago, one light (3 way switch) stopped coming on
at
> night. I can turn it on manually at the switch, then I can dim and
> turn it off, but it will not come on by X10. You can call this guy
C6

> I assumed the 3 way had crapped out (they do, sometimes) and ordered
> new one. When it came in, I replaced it but same thing.
>
> Then I did a little more investigation. Seems the thing works great
> DURING THE DAY. But in the evening it stops. Won't turn on by X10.
>
> That led me to look at my X10 dusk sensor. However, opening the
> breaker that feeds it made no change. I've also tried opening all
the
> other breakers (one at a time) and had no effect. I was thinking
that
> one of my other modules was about to die.
>
> During the day, when it works fine, I've tried turning on all the
> evening lights (evening lights macro) and it still works fine.
>
> In my evening lights macro, this light is the first thing that
> operates.
>
> It's got me stumped. I don't have a signal strength meter (never
> needed one) but I'm totally flabbergasted here. Perhaps tomorrow,
I'll
> try a different house code. But tomorrow it'll work fine.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated. I've never run into anything like
this
> before.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Have you checked the slave?
Or it could actually be a problem with the x10 product. Some times
nearby noise, even from the house next door can cause it to happen.
I'm talking about line noise here. Have you added any new appliances
anywhere in the house? X10 is very susceptible to things like that. I
used to have a house full of it. Most of the time it worked
flawlessly, but every once in awhile, it just acted funny. Eventually
as I added certain items to the house it got worse and worse. Finally
I started replacing controls to "fix" the broken ones, but it didn't
work. As you've seen.
Try replacing the slave first.
Keep us posted as to the results.
Clay