Re: Structured Wiring Questions.

> I have a two story house, would it be unreasonable to have the 2" pvc
going
> from the second floor down to the bottom floor?  And is there a way I can
> clearly locate the joices?

It's spelled "joists".

If you have wood floors you might be able to tell where the joists are by
looking for the nails that hold down the flooring.  They're often nailed
down into the joists (but not always).  Or you could use an ultrasonic stud
finder.  Just as they find the wood in the stud walls they can often find
joists.  Also note that ceilings below are usually attached to the joists
above.  Likewise using a stud finder will help locate the joists.  Worst
case you find a hollow sounding spot that's in a relatively easy place to
patch and you cut an access hole.  Drywall is easy enough to patch and those
rooms needed repainting anyway, right?

But yes, it's reasonable to have a riser going through the house.  It's also
reasonable to have chase spaces with access panels in places that make it
easier to run wires even without conduits for them.  Quite often there's a
closet that's accessible 'enough' to allow punching holes on the top and
bottom of a side and use that as an easy way to make the holes to bot the
floor above and below.

Also consider that may electricians or other contractors are amenable to
making an extra buck in their spare time to do this grunt work for you.
I've gotten nice work done simply by asking the guys working late on a
nearby remodel if they needed some 'side work'.

If you're in any sort of development that has other houses using the same
floorplan it would be a fine idea to just ask those neighbors about their
renovation work.  It's a fine way to meet folks anyway, just don't be a
creep about it.  I learned where a second steel column post is located in my
basement by seeing the unfinished space in a neighbor's place.  Saved me
from wasted effort pulling down a wall for 'free space' that has a column
smack in the middle of it.