Re: Structured Wiring Questions.

Al Dykes wrote:
> In article <1140ldm11romg25@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Matias Silva  <matt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>Bear in mind that some satellite systems can use more than a single wire. A
>>>dual-tuner DirecTV unit requires two links to the multiswitch/dish.
>>>
>>>Sometimes it's 'better' to put the AV stuff in one place and distribute it's
>>>signals internally instead.

>>>Which allows for up to 4 POTS lines.

>>>Why both?  Granted, if you want two ethernet devices in each location then
>>>you could do this.  You could also use a switch at that location.  But if
>>>you want a single wall connection for each device then having both is a good
>>>idea.

>>>One FOOT?  How much are wire you thinking of running?

>>>Check with your local building inspection department.

>>>No more so than what regular plumbing does.  You have to take care when
>>>putting holes in structural members of a house.  Too many holes in a joist
>>>is a bad thing.  Not all walls are structurally significant.

>>>Intercom systems will generally run over anything.  But their placement is
>>>usually near the entrance ot a room, not where you'd usually put TV, phone
>>>or computer jacks.
>>>

>>Well I'm planning to have a junction box that has two inputs (cable and satellite)
>>and have a splitter for the satellite to all the rooms.  Thanks for the tip on
>>running two satellite lines because of dual tuners on the satellite box.  I will
>>plan to have 6 plugs at the outlet.  I can label one cable, one satellite, and
>>one satellite/cable and if if a particular tv needs two inputs either from satellite
>>or cable and can just switch one cable over to the satellite/cable.  I also could
>>use a splitter at the outlet and just have two lines coming from the splitter into
>>the dual tuner.
>>
>>Two separate lines for phone, one line will be a phone line so that I could still
>>dial 911 in case the power goes out.  The other will be dedicated for voip.  The
>>voip line will plug into a Linksys VoIP adapter.  Granted for the voip line, I only
>>need 2 of the 8 conductors, but you never know ...
>>

> I don't think you use "voip" the same way I do.
>
> A voip handset runs voice over an ethernet (or any other IP media,
> such as WiFi) and shares the bandwidth.  If you are going to use a
> Linksys router that has an RJ-11 jack for an analog handset then
> you're not installing a viop system in the house, IMO. Just more POTS
> wire.
>
> You can expect to see WiFi-capable viop handsets soon, which I think
> will be neat.
>
> IMO you only need one POTS phone in the house for 911 calls, unless
> it's a _very_ large house.
>
> Put your switch and router stuff on a small UPS. (or maybe not so
> small) During the 24 hour NorthEast power outage a couple years ago I
> had my DSL connecttion on my UPS and was able to run my laptop for the
> entire duration and recharge my cellphone when needed. I was online
> [...]

I read that with VoIP you have to have lines isolated from
the phone company.  I agree, what I call my VoIP line may
not be VoIP in the definition sense.  My VoIP line will be
connected to a VoIP adapter and then the adapter will be
connected to a router.  I am still using traditional/analog
based phones and have not thought about purchasing VoIP phones.

Its a conservative 2 story house (~2000 sqft) and I like to have
an anolog phone for the 911 calls in the master bdrm and the kitchen.

How many Volt-Amps is your UPS?  Wasn't that black out for long time?

Thanks,
Matt