Re: Structured Wiring Questions.

Hi Matias,

That was a long message, so I'll post on top.

First of all, you will greatly simplify your setup (and life) by getting
rid of different types of UTP cable. Considering amount of labor and
overall effort that goes into this kind of residential retrofit cabling
installs, as well as the relatively small size of a residential house, you
will hardly notice a price difference between CAT6 and CAT5E (stay away
from just CAT5, if you can even still buy it).

Now, the question of whether or not CAT6 is a viable solution for a brand
new installs in view of CAT6A (or CAT6+) solutions out there does only
make sense in commercial installs. A residential house usually has cable
length less than 60m (approx. 180'), and 10G Ethernet is therefore
guaranteed to run via general CAT6 cabling. Not so in larger commercial
buildings, but it?s a theme for a whole separate discussion.

So, to round this up, pull all CAT6 or all CAT5E, do not use different
cables for different applications.

Find a way to create a vertical shaft. The PVC pipes your proposed would
make a it a great solution, but I would stick with 2" as a minimum if your
walls' constructions allows. For un-insulated walls you can actually get
away with simply removing sections of drywall and making 3-4 of 3/4" - 1"
drilled holes for cables going through the floor. Then leave pull strings
in every one of those holes, pull those cables you need and make sure you
have a least one extra hole with pull string for future, and then close
the walls back.

Good luck!

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

Matias Silva wrote:

> I am looking to run the following throughout the house:

> 1. Coax for cable tv.
> 2. Coax satellite tv.
> 3. Cat5 for an analog phone line.
> 4. Cat5 for Voice-over-IP phone line.
> 5. Cat6 for Ethernet/Internet

> I'm planning it so that all the cabling comes into a control center
> located on
> the 2nd floor.  The house is a two story house and it was built in
> 2000.

> My questions are:

> 1. What is the best way to run wire from the attic through
>     the 2nd floor ending up at the bottom floor.  Do I make 1 ft.
>     diameter holes in the walls to drill between floors?

> 2. How do I navigate around/through firebreaks located on the
>     exterior walls?

> 3. Would you recommend that I run 1" - 2" diameter pvc piping
> so that
>     I can run the wires in the piping.  What this allows is for
>     me to add or remove wiring easily at a later time.  My only concern
>     is that I will weaken the structure of the house by running pvc
>     through the walls and between floors.

> 4. In terms of the list above, should I add anymore type of wiring?
>     I was thinking of an intercom.

> Thanks in advance,
> Matt

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
alt.home.automation - 508 messages and counting!