Re: Interior Of House Gas Shut Off Valves Question

"Robert11" <rgsrose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Have just learned that a house recently moved into apparently has
> no gas shut off valves located inside the house for the
> gas dryer, or the gas kitchen stove.
>
> There is one for the furnace and hot water heater.
>
> Plumber says it would be a really good idea to install one for the stove
and
> dryer, and, of course,
> it would be.
>
> But was wondering how  "necessary" this is.  The expense of a few hundred
> dollars
> is a bit of a concern.
>
> Is this a "must-do" kind of thing ?
>
> Are many houses in this situation, where the mains shut off valve outside
> the house is the
> one that would have to be used in an emergency, or whatever ?
>
> Also,
>
> This is the first time with a house with gas for the dryer and stove.
> Was a bit surprised to see that these appliances are plumbed in pretty
> rigidly
> to the gas pipe.  Would have thought a flexible hose would have been used
> for the last few feet or so
> to allow some positioning or movement of the appliance.   But, I guess
not.

> Anyone care to explain this a bit ?
>
> Thanks.

You can get by with out the valves. But when you want to do anything with
the appliances you will need to shut off the service and then re light all
of the pilots if you have them.
A couple hundred bucks for two valves??  Dude your getting ripped.

All of the home stores carry gas valves, not water valves but gas. I use
Teflon tape and pipe dope tighten then turn on the gas with the valve off.
Check for leaks with leak detector or liquid soap. No leaks then install the
appliance.  Make the flexible hoses for the stove and dryer long enough that
you can get the appliance out of its installed position and get to the valve
for servicing.

Heating is always better with gas and cheaper as well.