Re: Structured Wiring Questions.

wkearney99 wrote:
>>1. Coax for cable tv.
>>2. Coax satellite tv.
>

> Bear in mind that some satellite systems can use more than a single wire. A
> dual-tuner DirecTV unit requires two links to the multiswitch/dish.
>
> Sometimes it's 'better' to put the AV stuff in one place and distribute it's
> signals internally instead.
>

>>3. Cat5 for an analog phone line.
>

> Which allows for up to 4 POTS lines.
>

>>4. Cat5 for Voice-over-IP phone line.
>>5. Cat6 for Ethernet/Internet
>

> Why both?  Granted, if you want two ethernet devices in each location then
> you could do this.  You could also use a switch at that location.  But if
> you want a single wall connection for each device then having both is a good
> idea.
>

>>1. What is the best way to run wire from the attic through
>>    the 2nd floor ending up at the bottom floor.  Do I make 1 ft.
>>    diameter holes in the walls to drill between floors?
>

> One FOOT?  How much are wire you thinking of running?
>

>>2. How do I navigate around/through firebreaks located on the
>>    exterior walls?
>

> Check with your local building inspection department.
>

>>3. Would you recommend that I run 1" - 2" diameter pvc piping so that
>>    I can run the wires in the piping.  What this allows is for
>>    me to add or remove wiring easily at a later time.  My only concern
>>    is that I will weaken the structure of the house by running pvc
>>    through the walls and between floors.
>

> No more so than what regular plumbing does.  You have to take care when
> putting holes in structural members of a house.  Too many holes in a joist
> is a bad thing.  Not all walls are structurally significant.
>

>>4. In terms of the list above, should I add anymore type of wiring?
>>    I was thinking of an intercom.
>

> Intercom systems will generally run over anything.  But their placement is
> usually near the entrance ot a room, not where you'd usually put TV, phone
> or computer jacks.

Well I'm planning to have a junction box that has two inputs (cable and satellite)
and have a splitter for the satellite to all the rooms.  Thanks for the tip on
running two satellite lines because of dual tuners on the satellite box.  I will
plan to have 6 plugs at the outlet.  I can label one cable, one satellite, and
one satellite/cable and if if a particular tv needs two inputs either from satellite
or cable and can just switch one cable over to the satellite/cable.  I also could
use a splitter at the outlet and just have two lines coming from the splitter into
the dual tuner.

Two separate lines for phone, one line will be a phone line so that I could still
dial 911 in case the power goes out.  The other will be dedicated for voip.  The
voip line will plug into a Linksys VoIP adapter.  Granted for the voip line, I only
need 2 of the 8 conductors, but you never know ...

The one foot diameter hole is for an access hole so that I could drill a 1"-2" hole
between the walls to the next floor.  For example I would cut out a 1ft diameter
hole out of the drywall at the base of the wall.  Then I could use a spade bit
to make the 1" - 2" hole to run the pvc piping to run the cables ...

There are drops that I want to put on the exterior walls that reach to the bottom
floor, and these are the walls I am most concerned about ...

I'll need to find where are the joices in my house and avoid getting near them.  I guess
my next step is to find the building plans for my house.

Thanks,
Matt