Re: Interior Of House Gas Shut Off Valves Question

--------------070302050400070306040305

Robert11 wrote:

>Have just learned that a house recently moved into apparently has
>no gas shut off valves located inside the house for the
>gas dryer, or the gas kitchen stove.
>
>There is one for the furnace and hot water heater.

Jim Baber replies: (Even if it is not Home Automation, it is important)
    Since I live in California, I am very aware of earthquakes, I had
significant damage in the 1971 Sylmar earthquake. Your plumber is quite
correct even if he is overpriced.  You do need a valve at the wall, with
the flexible line that you wanted to go to the appliance.  I personally
want that appliance chained/strapped to the wall within a distance that
limits any movement of the appliance to remain within the easy reach of
the flexible line.

    Do not assume you are safe from earthquakes!

    The 2 worst earthquakes recorded in North America were NOT in
California, one was in Alaska, and the largest was in Missouri (it was
felt in New York city), and there are several small, but active faults
in New York state.

>Plumber says it would be a really good idea to install one for the stove and
>dryer, and, of course,
>it would be.
>
>But was wondering how  "necessary" this is.  The expense of a few hundred
>dollars
>is a bit of a concern.
>
>Is this a "must-do" kind of thing ?
>
>Are many houses in this situation, where the mains shut off valve outside
>the house is the
>one that would have to be used in an emergency, or whatever ?
>
>Also,
>
>This is the first time with a house with gas for the dryer and stove.
>Was a bit surprised to see that these appliances are plumbed in pretty
>rigidly
>to the gas pipe.  Would have thought a flexible hose would have been used
>for the last few feet or so
>to allow some positioning or movement of the appliance.   But, I guess not.
>
>Anyone care to explain this a bit ?
>
>Thanks.

    You do also need to consider other things that can physically shake
your domicile up like severe storms (tornados floods hurricanes...), out
of control vehicles (cars, trucks, trains, airplanes...you've seen them
all in the news).  What you do not want is to have anything break that
gas line.

    The valve is also a nice thing if you want to disconnect 1 item for
repair or replacement without disturbing all the others.  As yours is
now, if you wanted to disconnect your stove because you smelled gas, you
would also have to do without heat and hot water until the stove was
either fixed or replaced.

--
Jim Baber
Email jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--------------070302050400070306040305

<head>
 http-equiv=3D"Content-Type">
  <title></title>
</head>
Robert11 wrote:

  <pre wrap=3D"">Have just learned that a house recently moved into appar=
ently has
no gas shut off valves located inside the house for the
gas dryer, or the gas kitchen stove.

There is one for the furnace and hot water heater.
  </pre>
Jim Baber replies: (Even if it is not Home Automation, it is important)<b=
r>
=A0=A0=A0 Since I live in California, I am very aware of earthquakes, I h=
ad
significant damage in the 1971 Sylmar earthquake. Your plumber is quite
correct even if he is overpriced.=A0 You do need a valve at the wall,
with the flexible line that you wanted to go to the appliance.=A0 I
personally want that appliance chained/strapped to the wall within a
distance that limits any movement of the appliance to remain within the
easy reach of the flexible line.<br>
=A0=A0=A0 The 2 worst earthquakes recorded in North America were <i><u><b=
in California, one was in Alaska, and the largest was in Missouri (it
was felt in New York city), and there are several small, but active
faults in New York state.<br>

  <pre wrap=3D"">
Plumber says it would be a really good idea to install one for the stove =
and=20
dryer, and, of course,
it would be.

But was wondering how  "necessary" this is.  The expense of a few hundred=
=20
dollars
is a bit of a concern.

Is this a "must-do" kind of thing ?

Are many houses in this situation, where the mains shut off valve outside=
=20
the house is the
one that would have to be used in an emergency, or whatever ?

Also,

This is the first time with a house with gas for the dryer and stove.
Was a bit surprised to see that these appliances are plumbed in pretty=20
rigidly
to the gas pipe.  Would have thought a flexible hose would have been used=
=20
for the last few feet or so
to allow some positioning or movement of the appliance.   But, I guess no=
t.

Anyone care to explain this a bit ?

Thanks. </pre>
=A0=A0=A0 You do also need to consider other things that can physically s=
hake
your domicile up like severe storms (tornados floods hurricanes...),
out of control vehicles (cars, trucks, trains, airplanes...you've seen
them all in the news).=A0 What you do not want is to have anything break
that gas line.=A0 <br>
=A0=A0=A0 The valve is also a nice thing if you want to disconnect 1 item=
 for
repair or replacement without disturbing all the others.=A0 As yours is
now, if you wanted to disconnect your stove because you smelled gas,
you would also have to do without heat and hot water until the stove
was either fixed or replaced.<br>
<pre class=3D"moz-signature" cols=3D"80">--=20
Jim Baber
Email <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:jim@NOJUNKbabe=
r.org">jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</a>
See our 10kW grid tied solar system at "<a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbrevia=
ted" href=3D"http://www.baber.org";>www.baber.org</a>"
</pre>

--------------070302050400070306040305--