Re: X10 APPLIANCE MODULE

In article <42ec0f47$0$11911@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gilmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx says...

> > Does the appliance module use a mechanical relay to close the circuit?
>
> Yes.
>
> BUT the electronics that operate the relay can sometimes be messed about by
> an electronic load or just plain flourescent fixtures.

Not the old-fashioned fluorescent fixtures, but some of the new ones with
electronic ballasts. This is due to some leakage current slowly charging up the
ballast until it reaches the point where it can flash on for a fraction of a
second. This fools the load sensing circuit into thinking that the user has closed
the switch.

> There are "fixes" for this but in my experience they don't really work.

The fixes involve opening the modules, then cutting specific leads or desoldering.
It worked for me in one case. The Smarthome Appliancelinc allows one to
programmatically turn off the load sensing, and has a quieter relay. I have one
that works reliably (more reliably than X10 pro modules) with a fluorescent load
having an electronic ballast. I couldn't say that it is immune to that problem
though.

> Oh, the relay is somekind of step or latching design.   "Next time" one
> breaks, I will check it out.

Yes, a simple latching relay. Noisy but effective. To save you the trouble of
taking one apart to check it out: http://www.geocities.com/ido_bartana/