Re: mobile phone remote control

Bear in mind the the IR used for remote controls is NOT the same as what's
used for electronic remotes.

Then also consider that the battery consumption required for doing IR
control is beyond what most cell phones can reasonably pump out, certainly
not without recharging a lot more.

You could, I suppose, use bluetooth to send signals to a PC.  The use the
girder program to re-send the signals as IR from the PC to the devices.
Gets a little complicated.

Bottom line, cheapie universal remotes are almost always a better idea.

-Bill Kearney