Re: Flourescent kills X10

Keith,

Sorry you are frustrated with X10, but it CAN be a reliable system.  It does
take some planning and management to keep it reliable.

We use a bunch of compact fluorescents in ceiling cans to save energy.  Most
are controlled with Leviton 16293 relay X10 switches.  To prevent potential
problems, I included Leviton 6287 noise blocks in line between the switches
and the ceiling cans.  These filters are small enough to fit in the back of
the switch boxes.

Unfortunately, the solution is not quite as easy with an appliance module.
Years ago I ran into your problem when compact fluorescents first came out.
The Lights of America CF bulbs had a filter capacitor directly across the
power input.  That killed any X10 signal on that circuit.  I you are running
into a similar problem.

The solution was fairly easy.  I ordered some Miller 1000 uH Hash Chokes
from Digikey and wired them in series with the bulb center contact.  You can
probably do the same with your under cabinet light.  Just wire the choke in
line between the "hot" input line and the circuitry.  Be sure to well
insulate the choke with shrink tubing to prevent any possible contact to the
case.

We use X10 here for all lighting, sprinkler control, hot water
recirculation, and exhaust fans.  With hundreds of X10 commands sent daily,
we see a missed command perhaps once a month.  Not 100% reliable, but
certainly better than 99%.

With some care, it should work fine for you too.

Jeff