Re: x10 remote range

Its not the distance to the switch that is important its the distance to the
base station.

With X10 there is receiver unit which is plugged into the wall. When one of
the transmitters sends a radio signal the receiver sends a control signal
via the power lines in the house that is "heard" by the requisite unit(s).
You therefore want the receiver placed as centrally as possible with little
or no metal between it and your transmitters.

I've also had some problems where the receiver works or doesn't work
depending on which plug it is plugged into. I have a hunch it is related to
the two different hot leads that are in your typical residential house. If
the reciever is on one hot and the controler is on the other then the signal
won't get though unless its going through ground or neutral, which I doubt.