automation questions

Hi,

I am building my own entertaninent console and would like to incorporate
sliding panels that I can activate via remote.

I would like to start small and cheap to experiment with so I am looking for
a link, catalogue, kit etc to a place that would sell a basic motor to do
this for me. Something like a car antenae motor would rock but it would need
do be able to run off house current.

If I can get it working to my satisfaction, I would like to figure out how
to control it remotely from either a universal remote or an lcd type of
remote. I am looking for a dummies guide/link/kit  to doing something like
this.

Any help here would be appreciated. Even key words to look for on ebay or
google would definitely help too.