From: ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Mal Lansell
Sent: 29 September 2005 09:30
To: ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_xpl] Re: plugin XML files

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "John B" <home-automation@j...>
wrote:
> Hi Mal,
>
> > Just a thought, but if the xml is going to contain URLs, how
about
> > we add an element for the URL of the vendor XML itself.
> > An updated xPLHal could know to look there first.  Eventually
there
> > will be no need for you to host links to all the vendor's xml
files,

> > and have to edit them when they get new
domains.

> True - though we'd still need the initial master list for new/empty
> xPLHal installs.

My original thought of having an about.basic schema could have helped
here - giving the location of the xml file on demand.

In that case, the xml could be per-device and installed with the
application.  The location provided would point to somewhere on the
users hard-drive (we could still have a web url for checking for
updates), and would allow apps to be individually updated, rather than
potentially having to do a vendor's entire catalog of applications at
once.

> We'd also need to set in stone the one vendor per file issue
discussed
> previously.

If we adopted the system I mentioned above, we could have one xml per
device.

Mal