Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: Changes to Protocol Docs - a Summary

Re: Re: xPL announcement/description protocol -- was xPLDiag

Tom Van den Panhuyzen wrote:

> Why would a diagnostic program use xPL ? It is the chicken and egg
> problem.
> If the xPL network is working correctly then HAL has sufficient data
> explore the xPL devices.

You might not have xPLHal installed.

> The diagnostic program should probe port 3865, find running processes,
try
> to contact HAL using XHCP, send out packets to itself to detect
possible
> network problems, check configuration settings, etcetera. It will be
> designed for a specific OS because it has to test specific problems
> that may
> occur on that OS.
> Or am I missing the point (again) ? :-)

I must have missed it myself several times already today ;-)

Actually, that part of my plan for the diagnostic tool was just to make
it a convenient one-stop reporting tool - once you've nailed all the
errors in the system it can show details of everything that's running
along with version numbers - just like the DxDiag tool does for
DirectX.  I would also have it check vendor xmls and notify you if there
are newer versions of those files or applications available.

Mal