Re: Re: xPL announcement/description protocol -- was xPLDiag

Perhaps the key to all of this is the hub's client list.  With the rapid
heartbeat system leading to quick discovery, the client list will be up
to date.  Querying the hubs for client details should prove a sufficient
starting point for a front end or diag tool to construct a list of xPL
apps.

There is still the problem of your send-only devices, but to be honest I
don't see any way to include those.  If they can't receive, then they
can't respond to requests or implement a rapid heartbeat system - they
will just have to be discovered when they transmit (in fact, was there
ever any reason for a send-only device to send hbeats? They are only
there to tell the hub it needs to send you messages, but if you can't
receive them, what's the point?)

In my proposal for about.basic there was only one item that could not go
into the vendor xml - the application version number.  Perhaps rather
than create a new schema, the hbeat messages sent by new apps can add a
version=... item to the end.  This could be stored by the hub in its
client list, and returned as part of a hub query.  This is backwards
compatible, since older apps will still be reported, just without a
version number.

Now for the query itself.  This *will* require a new schema.  The
request is broadcast in the usual manner, but instead of being
retransmitted, the hub responds directly to the ip and port listed in
the request, even if it is not local.  This ensures that the requesting
app receives details of the whole network, and not just the local
machine.  The hub may need to send more than one message if the client
list is so long that the message will be too large.

The requesting application would build it's initial app list from all
the responses, and from then on would maintain it by monitoring hbeats
in the same way that the hub does.

The messages would look something like this:

xpl-cmnd
{
hop=1
source=mal-xpldiag.default
target=*
}
hub.basic
{
remote-ip="192.168.0.4"   //IP and port to send client list to
port="50002"
}

Hub response:

xpl-stat
{
hop=1
source=vendor-device.instance    // this is dummy info - hubs do not
have these items.
target=*
}
hub.basic
{
client="[vendor-device.instance],[ip],[port],[version],[time until
next
hbeat in seconds]"
client="..."
client="..."
}

Purists may cry foul at the idea of hubs sending their own xPL messages,
but it would be better to use a method that we know is working than try
to open a new port with all the firewall etc issues to go through again.

Mal

Ian Lowe wrote:

> [...]
> features xplhal provides is a central list of xPL devices. It's one of
> the reasons I keep coming back to it - xplhal is a pretty important
part
> of the environment, as it provides a hub for configuration/devicde
> cache/scripting engine etc.
>
> If we wanted the ultimate cross platform environment, I think we need
> port xplhal to each OS, with XHCP providing a layer of abstraction
which
> allows any combination of manager/frontend OS to be used with any
> combination of backend OS.
>
> When xplhal manager is launched as a frontend, it doesn't have to wait
> for a list of devices to build - it gets them from the server.
>
> The concept is the same as WINS in operation - individual devices pop
up
> one by one, and broadcast their presence, but clients don't need to
wait
> and listen for everyone to appear - they talk to the WINS/xPLHal
server
> and get a list instantly.
>
> > 3) I really like the ability of a program, like a front end, to
hear
> from a device it's > never heard from before, query that device for
> info, learn about it and allow some level > of control over it (as
long
> as it supports a known schema class).
>
> So...
>
> The *server* app (on windows, xplhal) hears from the a new device/app
> then queries the xplproject.org.uk repository (or one of the mirrors
we
> add later on ;)) for the vendor's up to date xml fragment for the app
> (this behaviour being configureable, of course)
>
> The front end can either gets it's xml fragments from the server, or
> from the internet directly. I'd suggest front end apps would have to
be
> smart enough to maintain the xml plugin cache on the machine they
> operate on - *OR* equally, the dumbest display in the world should be
> able to execute a determinator on the local xplhal server(or
> equivelant).
>
> > I feel if an app can use them, it should, but it shouldn't be a
> requirement (not that
> > anyone suggesting it should be a requirement, but).
>
> One thing in that regards - I am kinda suggesting that the production
of
> an xml fragment is a *requirement* of being a vendor. A developer
> building a frontend doesn't have to use them, although they will
simlify
> the user experience greatly!
>
> > Okay -- but if it at least could respond to an about.basic or
> about.request by sending
> > out a heartbeat, the initiating application would then be able to
> learn it exists and
> > then lookup info for it in the appropriate XML file.
>
> What I was mentioning above, really. It's the "respond"
thing that's