USB-UIRT and xPL

  • Subject: USB-UIRT and xPL
  • From: "J P" <snakedjip@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:25:45 -0000

Hi,

I'd like to have an xPL application that can send infrared codes
with the USB-UIRT thingie...  The goal is to control a stereo
receiver remotely.

I have two options : buy a $400 in-wall keypad that translates
button presses to IR signals (Xantech, Niles, etc...), or, use
software on my PC connected to an IR emitter.

I'm confident that I can figure out how the xPL software works, and
that I'll be able to configure it to send the signals I want.

But before I buy the USB-UIRT and start putting time into this, I'd
like to know what kind of interface I'll be getting with xPL.  It's
all about WAF (wife acceptance factor) :-)

Remember, my goal is to control a stereo receiver.  I want to be
able to the the following signals to it : volume up, volume down,
select source 1, select source 2.  That's it.

With an in-wall keypad, it would be really intuitive and easy to use.

On the PC (with xPL) though, what exactly will the interface be ?

Will the xPL app always be on (e.g. a service started at each
bootup), or will I need to double-click an app icon every time I'll
want to control the stereo ?

Will I get an icon on the taskbar to open the xPL control window ?

Will I be able to have a window with, for example, four buttons
labeled "Volume up", "Volume down", "Source
1", "Source 2" (in other
words, will the interface be configurable) ?

Screenshots would be great, if anyone using the USB-UIRT has them...

Thanks for your insight...