RE: xPL Frontend concept?

What I was thinking was maximum flexibility, to be honest - if we are
all thinking towards ther same sorts of thing, what strikes me as
important is a standard format for describing the widgets, their
placement, and the actions they perform.

You could therefore have actions which operate as you describe
(basically, send an xpl message), or launch an external app, or tell
xplhal to do something directly (like set a variable, run a determinator
etc).

If we got a standard format together, you have the delicious possibility
of cross platform support - you end up with a client app like Adrian
describes that loads up previously drawn control "screens" which
render
pretty much the same across platforms..

So, if you had an xplhal server on the networkl and wanted to use it,
you could create screens which did a mix of widgets, some sending xpl
messages themselves, some talking to xplhal... And if you wanted a
serverless config (or to use xpl4java scripting) then you could
construct a screen with widgets configured to do this instead.

It's a rather nice concept.

Ian.