Re: xPL - Front End

Frank Mc Alinden wrote:
> Hi Guys
>             Anybody working on a nice front end for xPL ...???
> I have been lurking on the CQC Forum as im really impressed with the
work

Howdy Frank,

I've been working on a GUI front end for xPL for a while (off and on, as
time permits).  Not really in any shape to release yet (and to be honest,
not sure if I will release it -- it may become to specific to my install,
but I am *trying* to avoid that).

It's geared for touch screen interfaces, though you can import/create any
sort of GUI widget you want really. (well, there are limits, I guess).  You
can also glue scripting on to handle translating messages for display or
translating the controls action into an xPL statement (you can also just
assign a received xPL message to just be displayed or send one on an action
for super simple stuff).

Anyway, it's in early stages right now, so it'll be a while.  It's really
not meant to replace something like xPLHALs determinators or xPL4Java
scripting engine (i.e. you don't build logic that applies to your house
there (rules, whatever) -- they belong in a central location)), but to be
used at multiple access points around the house (you don't need a touch
screen to use it -- that is how I'm gearing it, but a mouse works fine too.

It's being written in Java (via xPL4Java) so when done, it should run on
anything that Java runs on.

As soon as things get interesting, I may post a "early alpha",
but
realistically, the earliest that may happen is late fall/early winter.
I'll
post a notice when it I get to that point.

Gerry

--
Gerry Duprey
Ann Arbor, MI 48103