xPLExec

  • Subject: xPLExec
  • From: Mal Lansell <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:18:03 +0000

xPLExec, an application to allow an executable file to be run in
response to an xPL message is now available for download from:

http://www.xplmonkey.com/xplexec.html

After considering the security issues at length, I finally decided to go
for a simple config file containing the list of permitted applications.
I decided that encryption was pointless in this case - anyone with
sufficient access to play with the config file will surely be able to
run any executable directly.

To prevent the list being modified by other rogue xPL messages however,
it is not presented in xPLHal.  Instead, I wrote a simple configuration
program (xPLExecConfig.exe) to allow the selection of permitted
executables.  This is installed in the same folder as xPLExec.exe.

I wanted to place a shortcut to xPLExecConfig in the programs folder,
but for some reason Visual Studio's setup wouldn't do it - it always
pointed to xPLExec instead.  This means you have to locate the config
program by hand, unfortunately.

Mal