Re: exec.basic - comments please

  • Subject: Re: exec.basic - comments please
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:31:27 -0000

Actually, I've persuaded myself otherwise!

There *will* be a list of approved applications.  This may not guard
against an xpl virus, but it will offer some additional protection
against messages originating from outside.

The list will not be editable via the normal config route, since
this would render it useless.  I'm going to write a simple config
dialog to go with this one.  I've also been thinking that an xPL
control panel plugin would be nice, but I need to read up a bit more
to see if other vendors can add tabs for their own apps first.

Mal

<tomvdp@g...>
> wrote:
> >
> > My view on the "xpl-virus": the only concern is rogue
xpl-packets
> > entering the "secured" network.  That is why ListenTo
was
> introduced.
> > A rogue xpl-application inside the network would be a very
> inefficient
> > thing... it could just call format c: directly.
> > So I don't think we need lists of allowed programs etcetera.
Keep
> it simple.
> >
> > Another point: please send out log.basic messages when the
launched
> > application returns an error.  We should try to make more use of
> this
> > schema so that all xpl applications (or applications launched
via
> xpl)
> > log to some central point (by using the xpllogger f.e.).  It
makes
> > maintenance a lot easier.
> >
> > Tom

> number?
> whatever the
they
want
> to use the
point,
> me, is
> initiator
meaning
> (even that
> > > >
> > > Seems completely reasonable to me - but I'll still include
the
> program
> > > name in the status message too.

> any path.

> programs.
> either
> listed, it
able
> run an
> actual
> > > >
> > > The way I see the security issue is that there are two ways
> attack
> > > via xPL.  One is via open ports from the internet, the other
is
> by
> > > installing a rogue application.  I don't think we should
concern
> > > ourselves with rogue applications since they can run other
> programs
> > > directly - they don't need xPL to do it for them!  In any
case,
> an
> > > xPL-specific virus will know where to look for any list of
> trusted
> > > programs we try to create.
> > >
> > > As for the internet attack route - isn't that what the
ListenTo
> > > addresses are there to prevent?
> > >
> > > 8< snip

> perhaps the