Re: exec.basic - comments please

  • Subject: Re: exec.basic - comments please
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:13:06 -0000

True - it would be technically possible.  Probably not at all likely
given the small user base, but possible all the same.

I thought maybe the list of exes could be a config item - but an xPL
virus could just send out a config message with a new list!

It would be nice if the user didn't have to edit a text file (or
worse, an xml file!) by hand, though.

Any thoughts?

Mal

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Paul Robinson" <ukcueman@y...>
wrote:

> Not sure how concerned we should be, but this does open up the
concept of xPL viruses.
> Should there at least be a list of allowed programs that can be
executed, perhaps in an
> XML config file?

(optional)
> >     args=""       //as many as needed
> > }
> >
> > xpl-stat
> > exec.basic
> > {
> >     pid=num       //same integer as sent in the xpl-cmnd
> >     status=[Failed][Started][Finished]
> >     return=""     //extended info if status is failed
or finished
> > }
> >
> > The pid is a program ID - it is not the same as the Windows
Process
> > ID, but is a user specified number to enable status messages to
be
> > associated with commands from xPLHal without having to match the
> > entire message body.  If only one program is spawned at a time,
then
> > feel free to just set it to the same value every time if you
like.

> > Program is the name of the executable file to run, without any
path.

> > As many or as few (none is ok) Path and Arg elements can be
included
> > as needed.
> >
> > Each Path item must contain only one piece of the path with no /
or
> > \.  These will be inserted by the receiving application.
> >
> > Each Arg item must contain only one command line argument.
> >
> > The xPLExec application will attempt to spawn the executable, and
> > will respond with a status messages containing either
status=failed
> > or status=started.  If status=failed, then the return item will
be
> > set to one of the following values:
> >
> > "argument list too long"
> > "invalid argument"
> > "program not found"
> > "program not executable"
> > "out of memory"
> >
> > If the program runs fine, the an xpl-stat message with
> > status=started will be sent.  When the spawned program
terminates,