Re: Is xPL the ideal work-around? Need to access the LPT port from Mister House...

  • Subject: Re: Is xPL the ideal work-around? Need to access the LPT port from Mister House...
  • From: "Jack Edin" <jack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:18:55 -0000

> I'm not really seeing the need myself - that being said, if an app is
> constructed it should almost certainly avoid platform specifics - an
> identifier like LPT1, COM1 etc is more generic than the specific port
> or address used by a given OS/platform.

I agree.

> The application itself can then apply it in a method that's
> appropriate to the platform being used.
>
> I.

Cross-platform is good. Especially as I know eventually I will move
Mister House to Linux.

As for Win98se... I'm planning on going to Win2000 now anyway. One good
reason is it handles more interupts, so I can have more devices, etc.

I can't get away with sharing an interupt on my COM ports. Maybe it
works better under 2k...?

I hope to have a seperate interupt for each COM port, and I have 4
right now. Not enough so I purchased an 8-port serial board. Before I
add this to the mix, I have to change my OS...

The harddisk I was expecting yesterday didn't arrive today. That is
slowing me down...

And Halloween's a week away!

With regard to Java, as long as the it wouldn't be required of the web-
client - go for it!

I await the day I can use my Wi-Fi enabled PDA to control Mister House.

Take care!

Jack
:)