RE: Protocol questions - INPUT REQUIRED.

  • Subject: RE: Protocol questions - INPUT REQUIRED.
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 00:42:53 +0100

> Fair enough.  (It seems slightly crazy that order should be
significant
when it actually imparts no
> useful information, but I can see the advantage for embedded devices.)

That's it - developers have the option of adding additional information in
the form of name/value pairs at the end of the message, therefore the basic
rule for schemas is: mandatory elements come first, and in the stated order
- optional elements (if present) must be in the order specified, developer
added values come last.

As you say, this is primarily to assist embedded devices.

> Incidentally, I assume you are allowed to use '{' and/or '}' in the
values?  The existing Perl
> Toolkit would barf on this since it uses the characters to parse
messages
- rather that using
> '\n{\n' which is significantly safer.)

Actually... Not really - as I believe a couple of the implementations use
the { and } bracses to delimit the header and body.

That being said - the protocol document is unclear in this regards, so
let's
open it to the floor - thoughts?

Ian.