Protocol questions

  • Subject: Protocol questions
  • From: "Mark Hindess" <xpl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:16:49 +0100

After reading the xPL spec that is in the "Core Documents"
section on
the www.xplproject.org.uk site, I have a couple of things I'd like to
clarify.

The spec states that:

the names of name/value pairs must contain only the following
characters:  A-Z, a-z and 0-9

However, the "hbeat.app" and "hbeat.end" messages both
contain the name
"remote-ip" which would seem to be invalid since it contains '-'?

Is it expected that name/value pairs be in the specific order as
specified in the docs - e.g. hop, source, target - or can they be in any
order?  (Obviously, I will follow Postel's advice in being liberal with
respect to messages I receive but I was wondering just how conservative
I should be in what I send.)

In "Example Two: A PC Media Application", the class is sometimes
"mediapl" and sometimes it is "audio".  Similarly the
class type in the
second part is "winamp" in some places and "custom" in
some others.  I
assume these inconsistencies are mistakes.

Regards,
Mark.