RE: Re: Is xPL the ideal work-around? Need to access the LPT port from Mister House...

  • Subject: RE: Re: Is xPL the ideal work-around? Need to access the LPT port from Mister House...
  • From: "John B" <home-automation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:07:16 +0100

Hi Jack,

> Do you have any sample code for writing a byte to the
> parallel port in Windows that does the sort of thing you want?
>
> If you do, I can hopefully xPL-enable it so you'll be able to
> talk to it from Mr House.
>
> If you don't, then I guess Google is my friend :-)

OK, I've found some sample code in C# for writing bytes out to the
parallel port, which should do just fine.

So, I'd like to suggest a new app:
"xPL I/O".

This will be a Windows service that will be able to write bytes out to
the parallel port (and maybe also other ports over time, hence the
reason for the generic name).

Bytes would be written using an xpl-cmnd message like:

Control.basic
{
Device=888 (decimal address of LPT1)
Type=byte
Current=255
}

In the above example, we are sending 255 to LPT1 (i.e. make all data
lines high).

Let me know if this is the sort of thing you're after and I'll get it
done.

Regards,

John