RE: Hop

Heh - it's a bit of a mindjob, isn't it :D

The hop exists for the situation of linked transports (rather than networks
per se) - it's actually used to prevent loops (or rather, excessive
looping)

If you have an Ethernet bus, an RS232 bus, some RS485, and someone
mistakenly creates a loop.. The hop count is intended to say "no more
of
this, young man!" and stop the packets from going more than 2/3 times
round
the track.

The reason for the hashing etc, was to avoid a repeated storming of packets
we saw when developing the app - if you had two packets from the same
source
in a row, it would bounce them back and forward until the hopcount maxed
out..

With hindsight, I think this may have been down to the whole "listen
on"
thing - I couldn't think of a good reason why the looping happened, but
building a hash of the message seemed to do the trick.

As I recall, Tony and I had a wee debate about "hop=" in the
first place -
it's not *really* needed... But it's there are a safety feature given that
xpl was always intended to run across multiple network systems (and
therefore encounter possible bridging issues)

Ian.