Re: Quick schema queries

  • Subject: Re: Quick schema queries
  • From: "Mark Hindess" <xpl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:24:06 +0000

On 25 November 2005 at 23:26, Mal Lansell <mal@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> When this has come up in the past, the answer has always been
"lower
> case, but just make sure you can handle it if you get a message with
> upper case characters in it".
>
> I tend to regard that line in the spec as being incorrect.

Ian clarified this on the list when I asked about the fact that the
name "remote-ip" in hbeat messages was invalid.  I didn't update
the
wiki because I thought Ian said that he would and because it seemed
quite a drastic change when I looked - the "Notes" paragraph
mentions
case-insensitive several times.

I also asked about the fact that the spec currently states that:

Any value other than the linefeed character may be present in the
value of a name/value pair.

which implies that the characters '{' and '}' should be allowed and
that the parsing of the xPL message structure should use the sequences
'\n}\n' and '\n{\n' for parsing purposes.  Ian's first reaction was
against this interpretation and asked for input.  Gerry and Mal seemed
to think that it was a reasonable interpretation.

I would be happy to update the wiki, but from the previous discussion
it wasn't really clear to me that consensus had been reached and that
document is somewhat fundamental to the project.

I think it would be good to clarify these issues and I'd be happy to
help update the wiki when consensus has been reached.

Regards,
Mark.