Re: Re: Look ma, no hub?

>From an architecture point of view, the hub is a key component of a
distributed Home automation system. Being able to interconnect X10,
Asterisk
PBX, Winamp, my old home automation system, text to speech, IR and more in
fast and coherent way is a strong advantage. The hub concept is more
important than the Xpl protocol.
Please keep the hub.
--
Jean-Paul Figer

On 11/17/05, Gerry Duprey <gerry@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Howdy,
>
> > I thought the hub was an implementation detail, specific to the
> > transmission of xPL over UDP in a Windows environment? It's not
> > part of the xPL protocol itself. If the platform doesn't require
> > hub to function, I see no need to require as part of the spec.
> >
> > However, being able to run without a hub means binding to the xPL
> > port rather than 50000+. You would have to be sure that all other
> > Linux xPL apps could run hubless (ie don't just assume that there
> > will be a hub), and that all versions of Linux support multiple
apps
> > binding to the same port.
>
> Well, here's lies my earlier note about confusion. Even apps running
under

> linux are not all going to be able to do this. Consider
multiple-platform