Re: De-lurk and Java CM12 question

Howdy,

> My first question is, does anyone have a good way of controlling an
X10
> transceiver such as a CM12U from xPL4Java?  I understand that there
are a

I'm not aware of one, but I don't think it would be too tough.  I looked
over the CM12 protocol before and it's nothing difficult.  The only
"problem" part is you'll need to install javacomm (and
additional, free
module from sun) to allow you to use the serial ports from Java.  If you'd
like an example, you can download the xPL RGBLED driver I wrote (at
www.rgbled.org) which uses it.

One note on Javacomm:  the instructions are good except for where it tells
you to put the javacomm.jar file.  They want you to leave it external and
require it to be on the command line/class path to use it.  Phui!  Just
dump
it in the lib\ext (or lib/ext) directory under the Java install and it'll
be
there automatically so you don't need to do anything special to
use/load/refer to it.

> My second question is, if nobody knows of a way of doing this, who
would be
> interested in using sch and xPL4Java module?  I have plenty of
programming

I wouldn't be opposed to try wirtting one, but I don't have a CM11/12.  If
someone was willing to loan one to me for a while, I'd be willing to give
it
a try.

> I'm also working on an xPL4Java module to report the presence (or
absence)
> of particular Bluetooth radio identifiers; the basics are working but
I have
> no way of configuring it apart from DCM - once a UI is working, I'll
post a
> link to the list.  The idea is that you can trigger home automation
events
> based on a particular person (or specifically, their mobile phone)
> approaching or leaving the building - does this sound like a useful
feature?

Sounds very, very cool -- Now I've just got to find a way to put a
bluetooth
receiver at my front and back door to the house!.

Gerry
--
Gerry Duprey
Ann Arbor, MI 48103