RE: Getting variable value from xPL_HomeVision from xPL script...

  • Subject: RE: Getting variable value from xPL_HomeVision from xPL script...
  • From: "John B" <home-automation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 20:51:47 +0100

Hi Andy,

Apologies for not responding - I know very little about HV... But I'll
do my best to help ;-)

> The conditions of the determinator is that a specific
> periodic event fired...
> The actions are to execute a script which will query HV for a
> specific variable value send that value out in an osd.basic message...

The problem here is that all xPL operations within xPLHal are
asynchronous.
There is no notion of sending out a message (requesting the value of a
variable) and waiting for a reply.

You can achieve this by using two determinators (I don't think you need
to write any scripts):

Your first determinator needs to look for the periodic event from HV as
it's input condition.
As it's action, it needs to request the value of the variable from HV.

Then, create a second determinator:
As it's input condition, detect a change in the variable from HV.
For it's action, display the value of the variable, or store it in an
xPLHal global - or basically do whatever you want with it.

So, the flow of activity will go something like:

1. HV fires periodic event.
2. Determinator 1 detects the event, and fires. It requests the value of
the Immersion variable from HV.
3. HV sends out the value of the Immersion variable in response to the
request.
4. Determinator 2 detects this variable and fires. The actions of this
determinator display the value of the variable on an OSD device.

Hopefully that gives you some pointers as to how you can achieve what
you want.
If it isn't clear, just shout and I'll go through it step-by-step here
(wel, as far as I can without access to HV) and give you some more
detailed instructions.

Steve C is the man to ask about the xPL HV stuff - but he's not around
at the moment.

Regards,

John