Re: Linux

Howdy,

I use Linux almost exclusively (my HTPC is Windows, but everything else in
the house -- servers, in-wall touch screens, personal desktops -- are
Linux.

If you are looking to develop, there are a few Linux friendly ways to do
it.

1) There are perl and a few other script language xPL implementations
available

2) I have a C based xPL framwork that compiles on Linux, BSD (MacOSX),
Solaris, etc as well as Windows (with the cygwin kit installed).  I've not
published it because right now, the auto-config stuff needs to be
completed,
but if you are interested, contact me and I can send it to you

3) If your devices/needs can afford it, develop in Java.  There is a
full-featured xPL for Java port available for download. Writing in it means
being able to deploy your apps not just on Linux, but on any platform.
There are tools included to allow multiple xPL apps to share the same Java
JVm to minimize the footprint.

I have a number of Java and C based xPL apps running under Linux and it
works very well.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Gerry

--
Gerry Duprey
Ann Arbor, MI 48103