xPLMediaNet Client Web - Frames or No Frames

  • Subject: xPLMediaNet Client Web - Frames or No Frames
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:50:52 +0100

Hi all,

Just wondering how to implement the clients on the web interface

Given that the web server will not be hardcoded for particular functions
with regards to music sources (and extra pages like jukebox) I'm wondering
how best to implement the clients

I'm thinking a frame system along the lines of:

Top/left of screen (this could be changed in the web page) for the client
wrapper (e.g. source selections and general controls on the left, and
status
etc on the top)

The main page would then be from a particular source (with web
functionality
for this built-in to the particular source module)

Never been that keen on frames, but this seems the ideal way to implement
this as each client device can have different controls...

i.e. although we could use 'no frames' for the source pages with the client
stuff included and handled by the central web server before passing to the
source, this would mean having to produce a web page for every source for
every client (i.e. currently 16 web pages minimum!)

With frames it's just a frame per client, and a frame per source.

The only other option I can see is to tag each item in a page as being for
particular client type, but as the types of client diversify this would get
very messy.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Tony