xPLMediaNet Progress Update

  • Subject: xPLMediaNet Progress Update
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:55:53 +0100

Hi all,

Just a progress update on xPLMediaNet

Well there wasn't much as I had to work some of the bank holiday :-(

On the rio client front it now streams shoutcasts and can transcode tracks
it can't play natively. Just TTS on the playback front to do still.

The rio is now under xpl control again, with status/trigger messages as
appropriate.

Have got the first interface started (web), so far it's just the server
page
with a list of clients and a list of available scanners (as each source may
or may not have an associated scanner with/without purge)

An interesting thing occurred while working on transcoding, that I hadn't
spotted while working on xplrionet.

I started playing a WMA track from the 'browse source' and when I tried to
look at the current playlist, it crashed. The reason being that the
playlist
has to ask the browse source for details of each track, and when the browse
source called the tag helper app it crashed as the file was locked!

It seems the wma transcoder (and I have to assume other transcoders) lock
the file... Have had to build a work around by having the transcoder copy
the file to be transcoded before playing it so other functions are not
effected and so the same track can be transcoded to multiple devices at the
same time. Not ideal, but the only way to do it it seems.

Regards
Tony