Re: xPLMediaNet and Playlists

  • Subject: Re: xPLMediaNet and Playlists
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:09:39 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Tony Tofts" <tony@x> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Need some advise and/or suggestions please.
>
> I'm trying to remove the reliance on a database from xplmedianet
as far as
> possible

My feeling is that playlists should be treated as a media type, just
like an mpg or an mp3.  After all, you can browse and play playlists
in the same way as individual files.  The fact that they actually
point to other media files is irrelevant to the way the user
interacts with them - handling a playlist (from a user perspective)
is really no different to dealing with the chapters in a DVD movie.

As such, any module that requires the database - which to my mind
should just be the media selection modules (browse, web interface
etc), should use the same method to select a playlist as any other
file.

The only other part of the system that needs access to the database
(if I understand correctly) would be the core, which would need to
access it to obtain file locations - either to send in xPL commands,
or for the serving of files to devices that require that.

Client modules, sources and transcoders should not need to access
the database at all.

Mal