Re: xPLHubs (again!)

  • Subject: Re: xPLHubs (again!)
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:49:20 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, Gerry Duprey <gerry@c...> wrote:
> > The file is not transferred between machines - it is used only
by
> > applications running on that computer.  Byte ordering is
irrelevant
> > because a file written on a Mac (for example) would only be read
> > back on that same Mac, and not by another PC.
>
> Actually, different platforms provide different byte ordering
tools.  Java,
> for example, has a few different ways to read ints and some are
platform
> independent (i.e. assumes the same order regardless of the
> machine/architecture it's running on).  On a system with Java and
non-Java
> based xPL apps running, the byte ordering would still matter.

That's interesting - I never knew that (but then I haven't really
done any Java work)

> > The same goes for file location - hubs compiled for Linux can
> > specify their own location, suited to that operating system.
>
> I don't disagree -- just stating that there should be some good
thinking
> given to where the files are so a platform-neutral app deployed on
a linux
> system and the same app deployed on a windows machine will be able
to find
> the correct file without too much specialized code.  If an
environment
> variable were used, then an app would be able to adapt to any
platform it
> was run on.

I don't think environment variables are really the way to go on
Windows.  The registry is the prefered way of storing program
specific info (such as paths) - obviously a different solution would
be required for Linux.

> Basically, the things I was writting about really are almost no
additional
> work -- just clarifications so that any xPL app with any framework
can
> cooperate on the same machine.  Seems like all upsides and no
downsides (at
> least to me).

You are right.  I guess we'll be going with the CVS approach...

Mal