Re: Learning

>>Also, linux is better to use for this right?
>
> Most apps i believe are written for a windows enviroment...i did hear
> mention of a linux version of xPL...Gerry Duprey has done a Java
version of
> xPL...................

Linux is a great platform and helps you to think more "globally"
about
solutions (i.e. creating tools that will run on many platforms) simply
because you are in the minority :-)

You can code in Java (xPL4Java is a very, very complete xPL framework),
perl
or python (haven't used them, so I can speak to their completeness level).
I also have a C based xPL framework that I use for some linux projects.
It's about 90% done (better support for configuration messages is still
needed), but very usable and I'd be happy to share.  The C code is easily
compiled into a shared library that can be linked into many languages under
linux and can be compiled and used under windows (and likely Mac OSX) as
well.  It can be statically linked right into your app too, should you need
a more embedded deployment.

I'd be happy to help get you started -- just ask,

Gerry (in the US too)

--
Gerry Duprey
Ann Arbor, MI 48103