Re: Re: xPLHubs (again!)

Howdy,

Speaking as someone who tries to create platform independent apps, I'd like
to suggest a few things:

> Seriously though, if it proves to be a problem, why don't we use a
> binary format file instead - it'd be even easier to read/write.

1) Please do not do binary.  Different platforms handle binary high/low
byte
encoding of 16, 32 and 64 bit numbers differently.  There becomes no
portable way to parse that number.  Text can readily be parsed.  While I
tend to prefer XML (it's easy to embed XML parsers into most apps to do the
dirty work), a CSV format would be OK.

2) If a CSV format is done, lets agree that any additional/future fields,
if
any, that are ever added are added only to the end of the line.  No
inserting new fields between existing ones or re-ordering fields.  Again,
this is for compatibility.  XML would provide a much more robust method for
handle future expansion (if any) of the file format, but if everyone can
agree to only append new fields, CSV should be more than practical.

3) If using CSV, line terminators need to be standardized.  Windows uses
CR/LF, Unix uses LF only and Mac (last I checked) used CR only.  I think it
would be fine to use the Windows CR/LF as long as it's documented so people
writing parsers know what to do.

4) File name/location.  If this concept is valuable for windows, it would
be
valuable for other platforms too.  So there should be some common means for
finding the file -- either written to a common path or specified as a
startup parameter to the hub (or read an environment variable if nothing
specified).  The Windows System/System32 directory would only be of value
for windows only apps.

Just some suggestions to help broaden the appeal of xPL,

Gerry

--
Gerry Duprey
Ann Arbor, MI 48103