Re: xPLMediaNet Music Menu Layout

  • Subject: Re: xPLMediaNet Music Menu Layout
  • From: "Malcolm Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:32:38 -0000

I reckon you probably know what I'm going to say ;-)

I'd go for B, simply because you don't need all that many albums in the
database before A results in too many tracks being displayed at once.

I'm not sure about this genre artist, genre albums, genre tracks business.

My structures would be

Album->tracks
Artist->Album->Tracks
Genre->Artist->Album->Tracks

The reason for showing all an artist's albums even when a genre has been
selected is because of the similarity and overlap between many genres, and
the fact that most artists' work is fairly similar genre-wise.

The only use I can see for the system A would be for case when you want the
computer to select tracks automatically.  In that case it doesn't care
about
the hierarchy - just the genre of each track.

In summary - A works best when a computer is choosing music, B when a human
is doing it.

Mal