How best to collect stats for xplrionet play top 10 20 etc

  • Subject: How best to collect stats for xplrionet play top 10 20 etc
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:50:11 -0000

Hi all,

I want to modify xplrionet to collect statistics of tracks played to allow
the selection of tracks by things like top 10/20/50 etc

To do this it will mean having to have a new table holding:

Date/time played, player used, track id

This does have a problem though, e.g. if you purge - the stats are
meaningless as the track id will almost certainly of changed.

We could hold the track path/name of course, but the stats table could get
horrendously big...

A way around it is for the purge to make a temporary copy of the tracks
table, then cross-reference to fix up the stats.

Of course this won't help where the tracks have been relocated, as it won't
be possible to match them off.

Also, I think when a track is played as part of a top 10/20/50 query it
probably shouldn't be added to the stats again, as this would top load the
most popular songs too much if you only listen to some of them?

Also, how many months stats should be kept?

Any thoughts/comments please?

Many thanks
Tony