RE: Newbie Question

> Okay, first, I would like to apologize for calling it buggy software.
It was just
> frustrated that the installation went so smoothly, Cm12 was detected,
I was able to turn
> on and off the devices I added.  However, it just stopped working
without any changes to > my system in less than 5 minutes.

Thanks - now, lets find out why :D

> This following information might help:
> When I install the Hal (after removing all that is mentioned above), I
tell it to load
> all plugins, then exit.  When I go back into the Hal, I do NOT see
anything in "awaiting
> devices".  The first time I installed the app, it had detected
the
device with no
> problems.  NOTE:  This is even BEFORE installing the CM12 Gateway.

First a wee explanation - the plugins allow xplhal manager to configure
the devices it finds, you can usually see the devices without
downloading plugins, you just can't configure them!

> So, the problem happens before I even install the gateway I think.
What would prevent
> hal from seeing the device (in awaiting devices)?

This is a fairly common XP SP2 issue - in order to get xPL working
properly, you need to do two things - These are basic instructions, so
please don't be offended if I seems to be describing simple things in
detail.

Start > Control Panel > Network & Internet > Network
Connections

Right click on your Local Area Connection, do Properties, Advanced

Beside Windows Firewall, click "Settings" - the Windows Firewall
settings will appear.

Click the "exceptions" tab, and "Add Program" Browse to
the xPLHal
folder, and select the xPLHal.exe program. Click OK

Now Click "Add Port" - name, "xPL", Port 3865, UDP Then
OK
Again, click "Add Port" - name "XHCP", Port 3865, TCP
then OK again.
OK, OK

And xplhal should now be able to see itself in the "awaiting
configuration"

Let me know if this works, then we can move on to the CM12 app.

Ian.