Possible pauses with xPLHAL

  • Subject: Possible pauses with xPLHAL
  • From: "Neil Wrightson" <neilw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:52:32 +1000

Hi,

In previous posts I mentioned that I was developing software to go onto a
LCD terminal, basically a LCD screen with 16 chars by 2 lines and five push
buttons. This all works.

To check the operation I wanted to send an xPL message to it every second.
So basically I wanted to emulate a clock.
I'm only new to the xPL camp and could not find a method of getting xPL to
do this, so I resorted to MisterHouse to transmit the messages. It sends
the
Date and Time to my device via xPL every second and the LCD display
performs
the required clock function.

But, I have one problem. It appears that xPLHAL is pausing every minute.

Misterhouse sends the Date and Time every second via port 3865. Via some
diagnostics in MH, it appears that MH is not doing any pausing.
In the xPLManager Monitor I can see the messages coming in from MH.
Approximately every minute the monitor pauses and does not show any
updates.
For example
20:28:59 Last Message received.
20:29:12  messages start scrolling again.
Approximately 1 minutes worth of scrolling messages
20:30:16  Last Message received.
20:30:30  messages start scrolling again.
Approximately 1 minutes worth of scrolling messages
20:31:34  Last Message received.
20:31:46  messages start scrolling again.

So it appears that the manager is pausing approximately every minute for
about 12..15 seconds.
The messages from MH during this period are lost as far as the monitor is
concerned.

But, the messages are being sent from MH because after the pause in the
monitor, the LCD then plays catch up with all of the incoming date/time
messages and madly displays the 12..15 updates that did not show on the
monitor. This is also evident by the large flow of data on the serial port.
So it appears the xPLHAL is receiving the messages but pausing and caching
these every minute and then dumping the cache messages to the serial port
via xPL DEVCOM.

This is what I have running
Misterhouse
xPLHAL
xPL DEVCOM
16*2 LCD board connected to xPL via xPL DEVCOM.
I do not have any plug ins and xPLMonitor is not required to be running to
generate the pauses.

Any ideas??

Regards,

Neil Wrightson.