From: "DynamoBen" <ben@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 9:56 AM
Subject: RE: [ukha_xpl] Re: Serial protocol questions

> Neil,
>
> Your protocol design is very similar to what I had originally planned
prior
> to stumbling across the xpl documentation.
>
> You made and interesting point that I had not thought about in my
design.
> had assumed that on the PC side of things I would just drop in an
> RS232->RS485 converter and call it done. Now I'm contemplating
using a pic
> as a master and making the door locations slaves.
> Would that makes sense? Is it worth the extra work?
>
> Additionally, I think what you're working on and what I'm working on
could
> be very complementary. Is it worthwhile to work together on system
layout
> and protocol so that both our devices "play" on the same
RS485 network? I
> think in doing that we will indirectly create somewhat of an xpl
standard
in
> that one plug-in can be created for all RS485 devices. That plug-in
would
> convert RS485 message into xpl network messages. Is my thinking
correct?

RS485
uses
> 2 wires for the transmission of data. For simplicities sake, lets
treat
the
> two wires as one.
> As you would appreciate, you cannot typically send and receive data on
> single wire at the same time. Thus a master is required that transmits
out
> signal, and at the same time slaves are awaiting a signal. When a
slave
> receives a message specifically address to it, it then talks back to
the
> master. The actual RS485 IC's in the master and slaves must be changed
from
> Transmission mode to receive and back again for each sent message.
> Basically it goes like this -
>
> Master
> Slave
> 1) Set Master RS485 IC to Transmit mode
> Set RS485 IC to Receive mode
>     (Usually RTS signal on comm port)
> 2) Transmit Message to Slave #03
> Receive message
> 3) Set Master RS485 IC to Receive mode (Usually RTS signal on comm
port)
> If it was for me then process
> 4) Wait for message from Slave #03
> All of my messages require an acknowledge
>     (Usually includes a timeout in case slave #03 does not respond)
> So set RS485 IC to Transmit mode and send message
> 5) Optional delay
> Set RS485 to Receive mode
> 6) Goto 1) or poll extra slaves etc
> Wait for next message
>

> I use two different protocols depending on the application.
> 1) PC to RS485 Devices
> The communications are between the PC and the remote RS485 slave
devices.
> RS232 to RS485 converter is required for the PC.
> This converter can be quite simple and does not require any brains
I.e. no
> processor.
> Although optical isolation at this point is nice (Adds $$$ but not
much)
> Basically the comms are as per above sample. The PC must be able to
toggle
> the RTS line for each transmission. Sounds simple but, the PC software
must
> know when the last character has been completely sent out of the UART
in
the
> serial interface. Most PC's are at least double buffered, or even 8 or
16
> character buffer. So doing something simple in Pascal like saying
send(Ch);
> SetRTS(Low); would be guaranteed to not work.
> Having said that, the protocol I use is
> 1    Stx                        Byte,#02
> 2    Addr                      Byte 0..255    Note Generally RS485
limits
32
> devices to be connected to the bus
> 3    Message Length     Byte              Allows messages up to 256 -
> Message size
> 4    Command              Byte              I.e.Clear LCD display,
Obtain
> I/O status etc
> 5    Data if any             Variable size based on message length.
could
be
> zero
> 6    Checksum             Byte               Checksum of bytes from
Stx to
> Checksum location minus 1
> 7    Etx                       Byte, #03
>
> Thus the minimum message sizes is 6 bytes if no extra data is
transmitted

> 2) PC to Dedicated master to slaves
> The first part of PC to dedicated master is as per the above protocol.
The
> big difference here is that the PC to master interface is RS232, thus
none
> of the waffle with concerns about the RTS handshaking lines being
changed
> over at the wrong time. Just 3 wires Tx,Rx,0V.
> The Master is a separate dedicated micro controller board that talks
RS232
> to the PC and talks RS485 to the slaves.
> Here the protocol is somewhat different because of the features within
the
> dedicated micros
> 1    Address                Byte or Word    - Well not quite These
> particular bytes are actually 9 bits in size
> 2    Message Length    Byte
> 3    Data                     Variable size based on message length.
could
> be zero
> 4    Checksum
>
> Good points about this method are that the local RS485 network can be
very
> fast and the master is always aware of all changes. It then only
passes
> state changes to the PC via the RS232 port. Usual delays in PC's I.e.
> disappearing for a second do not effect the RS485 comms.
>
> Both protocols use an address of 0 (Zero) for general broadcasting of
> messages to all devices. I.e. perform a master reset.
>

> In other postings I have made reference to a remote RS485 terminal
with
LCD,
> keypad, I/O, IR Tx & Rx etc that is under development.
> What I plan is that basically this terminal will be a ROOM terminal
and
have
> some smart intelligence built in.
> I.e.
>     I/O Inputs for PIR's (Movement sensor) and door/window switches
(These
> will be interfaced to the lights for auto light control as well as
security)
>     I/O Outputs for Lights, sound etc
>     Audio Out - Thinking of relaying HAPC voice annunciations
>     RTC for determining wake up alarms, sleep modes etc.
>
> My idea is that, even if the HAPC or the RS485 network is down a
person
> should still be able to turn the lights OFF/ON etc NOT have the house
in a
> completely shut down mode and stumbling around in the dark.
> Here I see that the slave room terminals will need to pass all state
changes
> back and forth to the master and to the PC. BUT each slave must be
able to
> see an input change I.e. PIR picks up movement and it MUST then turn
on
the
> light. It can't wait for it to send a message to the PC saying
movement
and
> the PC then respond back with turn on the light.
>
> All of the above I do now in various forms. To me the embedded side is
easy.
> Your PC xPL is a bit different. I could do a separate windows app
using
> Delphi for the xPL IP socket to serial port connection but I think it
would
> be better added into xPLHAL or something ???
>
> Well, time to go to bed. Work tomorrow :(
>
> Hey Frank, I just noticed your email is bigpond.net.au. Are you in
AUS?
I'm

<neilw@n...> wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I have done a lot of comms work in the past, both RS232 and
RS485.
> > > RS485 really has to be a polled environment I.e. a master
with
> > polled
> > > slaves. I'm only just starting to look at Xpl at this stage
and it
> > appears
> > > that the heartbeat is a rather critical aspect to this
protocol.
> > > I believe that the RS485 master should be aware of all of
it's
> > slaves and
> > > that the master sends a heartbeat to it's master xXPLHAL??)
for
> > its self and
> > > each of its slaves.
> > > Perhaps xPLHAL should advise the master 485 device what
slaves it
> > should be
> > > talking to and what there functionality is.
> > >
> > > To me part of the question is, should the RS485 network try
> > emulate xPL
> > > or as suggested just use a proprietary protocol. I already
have
> > proprietary
> > > protocols in place so this would be easier.
> > > But,
> > > In my house I do not want to have multiple RS485 networks
with
> > separate
> > > proprietary protocols. I will probably end up making most of
my own
> > > hardware, but who knows I may wish to buy somebody else's
485
> > hardware item
> > > I.e. RFID and connect it onto my network. This wont work if
we all
> > have
> > > separate 485 protocols.
> > >
> > > I think one of the early on questions is, What is the
master? Is
> > it part of
> > > xPLHAL I.e. a PC is the master or should there be a separate
> > standalone
> > > master that talks to HAL via another serial connection. If
XPLHAL
> > is the
> > > master we need somebody that can handle the 485 comms on the
PC
> > I.e. Rx,Tx
> > > and a handshake line.
> > >
> > > By the way, I have already interfaced to RFID devices. Most
> > commercially
> > > available RFID devices talk to other equipment via a 26bit
weigand
> > > interface.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Neil Wrightson.

serial?

> > > Can be done ok , but each device must generate hbeats and on
> > rs485 network
> > > ,multiple devices could send hbeats at the same time ..???

> > > I would assume the control.basic..Sensor.basic could be used
here

> > > Yes this is another option and i have done this with my
Probe
> > system....
> > > You still have the issue of devices sending data at the same
time
> > therefore
> > > getting corrupted messages unless the app polls each device
on the
> > network
> > > ...???

> > xpl
> > >
> > > No rs485 resources that im aware of ....
> > >
> > > Frank

allowed

<http://www.xplproject.org.uk>

<http://www.xplhal.com>  < http://www.xplhal.com