Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: Serial protocol questions

Re: Misterhouse xPL Mods (was RE: New User questions re Hardware interface and what protocol.)

Quoting John B (1/23/05 1:06 PM):
> I actually wrote a sizable chunk of a Perl-based xPLHal server
implementation.
> It implemented XHCP, events, and determinators, and you could manage
it from the xPLHal Manager just like the windows version.
> But like so many things, it never got finished due to lack of time,
and ti's been over 12 months since I touched the code.

> If we are serious about a cross-platform xPL controller, I think a
Perl based version of xPLHal would be an excellent choice.

That sounds interesting.  On a personal note, however, I'd just as soon
use xPLHal on windows since it already exists (i.e., I don't see the
value in any huge effort to make it cross platform).

> Regarding MisterHouse, I'd like to see deeper xPL integration, but I
can't ever see it becoming the Linux version of xPLHal - it's internals are
just too different to xPLHal for them ever to be completely harmonised.

Ok--first I definitely agree on the latter comment--MH is decidedly
different from xplhal.  However, I'm curious about the former.  I'm
guessing that most MH users aren't constrained by the lack of
xPL-exposed services since they use MH as the master controller.  So, a
question for the xplhal users is whether you would likely invest in the
effort to use misterhouse (simply installing and configuring a modest MH
site is far from trivial--IMO).  If so, then exposing MH services to xPL
makes sense.  If not, then I would think that the current level of
integration is perhaps appropriate.  Comments?

> However, if you were to couple a Perl version of an xPLHal server with
MisterHouse (using xPL integration between the two) then you'd have a
pretty powerful cross-platform home automation environment.

I assume that this relies on the XHCP concepts.  Maybe my taking a look
at your Perl code might allow me to better see how the xPLHal server and
MH might integrate.  I'll admit that my personal interest would be when
determinator scripts get written and made available that do things that
I can't do in MH.  Otherwise, as a MH user, this seems like a lot of
effort.

> And as Ian says, you could develop a fancy GUI in whatever language
you liked, and be able to administer either the native WIndows server or
the Perl server.

This would no doubt appeal a great deal to early MH adopters.  I have to
confess that my primary/preferred interface tends to be CLI.

Thanks for the additional clarification/elaboration.

Gregg