Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: Serial protocol questions

Misterhouse xPL Mods (was RE: New User questions re Hardware interface and what protocol.)

  • Subject: Misterhouse xPL Mods (was RE: New User questions re Hardware interface and what protocol.)
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:09:21 -0000

Hi Gregg -

This is perfectly On topic for ukha_xpl - the list mostly talks about MS
platforms as a result of the distribution of developers/users and not
for any kind of policy reason.

There are two main things...

Firstly, we need to know what services misterhouse can provide to an xPL
network? Does it behave in a similar way to something like homevision,
and allow the user to present information from within misterhouse
scripts to the rest of the network, and similarly, provide a set of
"commands" that can be carried out by misterhouse in response to
an xPL
message?

This information is needed as an xml fragment - John B produced a really
good guideline on doing this, (not to hand right now... John?) the xml
fragment allows smart configuration of any device.

I don't know if you are penguin only.. If you have a windows box
available, it would be worth installing xplhal and xplhal manager just
to see what I am describing.

Secondly is how we can use misterhouse as a home controller from an xpl
point of view... xPLHal is the windows scripting engine which performs
configuration of xpl apps/devices and acts as a central intelligence on
the network. This is windows only, and we are sorely missing a linux
alternative. Clearly misterhouse could act as this controller - in which
case, it would be great if the user experience was the same in both
respects.

xPLHal is a low level engine - it doesn't have any gui, and all
interaction between user front ends and the low level system happen via
the XHCP protocol.

http://www.xpl.myby.co.uk/info/xhcp/xhcp.txt

If a misterhouse module could be written that supported XHCP, then a
user could use xplhal manager from a windows desktop to control either
xplhal on windows or misterhouse on linux.

Similarly, if someone produced a nice gnome or kde frontend that spoke
XHCP, then Linux users could configure and control both windows and
linux backends.. The abslutel best of both worlds.

:D

Ian.