RE: Re: xPLRioNet and RioCast Server

  • Subject: RE: Re: xPLRioNet and RioCast Server
  • From: "Tony Tofts" <tony@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:38:04 -0000

> Does the thing that's delivering the source music need to be
> on a machine with a soundcard? What choices do we have for
> programs to send the audio? Possible to build a little
> networked box with CDROM and act as the source? Does it need
> to encode the audio into .mp3 format?

Hi Andy,

The only program I know of that can act as the source is winamp 2.x (yes,
2.x nothing higher).

You then need to use one of the numerous dsp plug-ins.

I've only tried 2 so far, oddcast and the official shoutcast one.

The official one (of the 2 I've looked at) is the best as it can both
capture from the soundcard or whatever winamp is playing (oddcast can't
capture from soundcard) and also broadcast to multiple server instances at
different bitrates from a single instance.

It wouldn't be difficult to write our own dsp client and do away with
winamp
altogether, but I'm not sure how to capture from the soundcard in this
scenario.

The source must be mp3, or encoded to mp3 before reaching a riocast
instance. I'm sure a box with a soundcard and cd-rom attached could be used
as a player, when I get a chance I'll have a play.

Regards
Tony