Re: xPLRioNet Scanner Changes - Comments Please

  • Subject: Re: xPLRioNet Scanner Changes - Comments Please
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 14:33:08 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "Tony Tofts" <tony@t...> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Would like to get some feedback on the following suggestions for
changes to
> the scanner system please...
>
> Have implemented John's suggestion of watchers for the file
structures used
> for music/movies/pictures
>
> This currently detects if a file/folder has been
deleted/created/renamed and
> raises an event where an action can be performed (nothing happens
yet!)

> However there are issues, e.g. if something is renamed you can't
tell what
> it was previously called - so you don't know what has changed.
>
> Also, the coding required to action individual changes will be both
complex
> and in some cases not possible or unreliable. Also, if you were to
copy in a
> load of new files (or move a load of files) the processing would be
> overpowering.

It sounds like the database would have to be completely redesigned to
support the watchers most efficiently.  That obviously would be a
stupidly large amount of work, so your suggested solution seems quite
reasonable to me.

The only concern I have is that the scanner is a total CPU hog - when
running on my PC it slurps up 98% of the processor time and nothing
else gets a look in!  If it is going to run automatically when files
are dropped in, then perhaps it needs to give up some CPU.

I should point out that my server PC is only a 650MHz Celeron, but
I'm sure a lot of people also use an old PC for HA purposes.

Mal