Re: xPLRioNet Scanner Changes - Comments Please

Hi Tony,

I have used the FileSystemWatcher class in an application that
re-organizes files.  The app keeps an eye on specific directories and
moves new files to other locations dependig on configuration settings.
E.g. move files ending in .jpg to pictures, .mpg to video etc.  I can
drag hundreds of files into the directory and then it starts moving
the files one by one.

The trick is:
- catch the filesystemwatcher event
- initial check: is this a file to act upon
- save relevant information in an object (hashtable-like probably)
- start a new thread if it wasn't already started that reads
information from the above object and does what is has to do (in my
case move the file; in your case update a db?) in a loop, removing
entries as they are finished.
- the new thread ends when there are no more entries

Things to look out for:
- you will be adding/reading/deleting data from the hashtable (or
alike) from different threads so you need to lock where appropriate;
- start only 1 new thread.

The application is pretty solid.  If you think it might be useful I
can send it to you off list.  It's c#.

Regards,
Tom

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:34:25 -0000, Tony Tofts <tony@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Would like to get some feedback on the following suggestions for
changes to
> the scanner system please...
>
> Have implemented John's suggestion of watchers for the file structures
used
> for music/movies/pictures
>
> This currently detects if a file/folder has been
deleted/created/renamed and