RE: Re: Xplproject.org.uk

  • Subject: RE: Re: Xplproject.org.uk
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <smorgo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 18:33:05 -0000

Can I just clarify a misunderstanding, here. The .NET languages compile to
IL, which is a byte-code similar to that produced by a Java compiler.
However, the .NET CLR further compiles this to native machine code on first
execution (or in advance if you use NGEN). Benchmarks suggest that C# code
is within around 10% of comparable C++ code (though YMMV). VB6 and its
predecessors compiled to P-Code which was interpreted at runtime. The
comment about relative performance of C# & VB.NET is still broadly
true, of
course.

C# performance is such that I am able to build a significant proportion of
some of the governments most mission-critical systems with it.

Steve