Re: Xplproject.org.uk

  • Subject: Re: Xplproject.org.uk
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:06:33 -0000

--- In ukha_xpl@xxxxxxx, "tonytofts" <tony@t...> wrote:

> > I'm scanning by folder/filename.
> > The contents of the scanner.xml are below:
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
> > <scanner>
> >   <music path="E:\MP3" />
> >   <movies path="F:\MPG\Movies" />
> >   <pronto artists="N" albums="N"
playlists="Y" clear="N" std="N"
> > pro="N" profontcol="" probackcol=""
/>
> >   <voice artists="" albums="" />
> > </scanner>
>
> That file won't scan by file/folder name, it will use tags
>
> You have to have an entry like:
>
> <wma format="{artist}\{album}\{track} - {title}"
tags="Y" />

> (this example will use format and then use tags for missing info,
> ignore tags use tags="N")
>
> to be scanning by folder/filename...
>
> Regards
> Tony

I'm sure I remember adding those lines!  The scanner.xml must have
been overwritten in one of the many updates.  Anyway, adding lines
for mp3 and wma did the trick.

I have to say I'm not won over by all this scanning/database malarky -
it's just not necessary for the way I play my music.  My collection
is so large that listing songs by genre or artist is just not very
helpful - I just need to simply browse the folders for a playlist,
and then play it.  Maybe I'm just a bit odd, but that's all the
functionality I use.

Now I know I can browse already, but I still have to scan, and that
means getting all my files to use the same naming convention - a huge
task.

So, I'm wondering if it would be (or is already?) possible for
xplRioNet to be controlled soley via xpl messages - a command
containing the location of the media file (music, playlist or movie)
to play (without it needing to be listed in a database), commands for
play/stop/pause/skip etc, a trigger when a file is finished, and some
status reporting (current file being played)

In fact, xplRioNet has grown so much (probably way beyond what was
originally envisaged) that maybe it should actually be split into two
(or more) separate applications - the backend media player
(controlled via xPL) and the front-end web menus, music database
system, mvp menus etc

If that were done, it would allow others to create various front-end
applications that suit different tastes, and at the same time maybe
increase the appeal of xplRioNet (and in turn xPL as a whole, since
xplRioNet has now become the xPL "killer app") without adding to
your
already large programming burden.

Regards

Mal