Re: Re: Xplproject.org.uk

> > Well that's definitely in my area of expertise.  I've probably
> still
> > got some optimised asm code from various games lying around
> somewhere
> > that could see new service - or I could write it from scratch
> again
> > if needs be.  Just give me a shout if you want a hand.
>
> Thanks, might have to do that.
>
> I think my C is ok for the coding side, as the routines are quite
> simple, it's the .net wrapper i'm not sure about, i.e. how to create
> a C (C#?) routine i can call from within vb.net.

I think the most efficient way to achieve this would be to write your
processor-intensive routines in C, compiled as a traditional DLL (i.e. not
using COM or anything like that).

C# is out of the question, as it is still a .NET language, and therefore
still needs to be interpreted by the CLR at runtime, so will offer little
or no performance benefits over VB.NET.
You need to use good old C or C++.

When writing your C functions, try and minimise the number of calls that
xPLRioNet must make - everytime the CLR needs to cross from managed (i.e.
VB.NET) to unmanaged (i.e. C) code, it is quite costly in terms of CPU
cycles.

The first thing you need to do is decide which areas of functionality would
be better served by C code, rather than VB.NET.

Then, write your C functions and compile as a Windows DLL.

Finally, add the necessary declarations to xPLRioNet to start using your
DLL functions.

HTH,

John